Subscribe to our RSS feeds

Top Stories

  • National Security Agency ends controversial email collection program


    SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The National Security Agency will cease collecting internet communications that merely mention an individual who is considered to be a “foreign intelligence target.”

    The move is being welcomed by privacy advocates who have criticized the earlier practice as the collection of domestic communications by an agency intended to intercept only foreign communications.

    The agency will now limit its collection to specific internet communications that are sent directly to or from a foreign target.

    “NSA will no longer collect certain internet communications that merely mention a foreign intelligence target,” a news release posted on the agency’s website said.

    The National Security Agency collects intercepted voice and data communications, known as signals intelligence, that are made overseas.

    “The Agency will stop the practice to reduce the chance that it would acquire communications of U.S. persons or others who are not in direct contact with a foreign intelligence target,” the release added.

    The NSA said it will also delete “the vast majority” of the casual mentions of individuals who are foreign targets "to further protect the privacy of U.S. person communications." What’s known as "about" information may consist of the mention of a targeted email address found "in the text or body of the email, even though the email is between two persons who are not themselves targets." NSA will delete the vast majority of its upstream internet data to further protect the privacy of U.S. individuals’ communications “to further protect the privacy of U.S. person communications.”

    The change is being made after an internal review of section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act that “discovered several inadvertent compliance lapses.”

    Crafted to fight international terrorism and cyberthreats, section 702 allows the intelligence community to conduct surveillance on specific foreign targets located outside the United States.

    Set to expire later this year, it could be reauthorized by Congress.

    The collection of “about” and “upstream” communications had been criticized as a means of domestic surveillance collection by the NSA, which collects foreign communications.

    “This development underscores the need for Congress to significantly reform Section 702 of FISA, which will continue to allow warrantless surveillance of Americans,” said Neema Singh Guliani, American Civil Liberties Union legislative counsel.

    “While the NSA’s policy change will curb some of the most egregious abuses under the statute, it is at best a partial fix,” Guliani added.

    “Congress should take steps to ensure such practices are never resurrected and end policies that permit broad, warrantless surveillance under Section 702, which is up for reauthorization at the end of the year.”

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • North Korea missile broke up shortly after launch, US official says


    iStock/Thinkstock(SEOUL) -- North Korea fired a ballistic missile that broke up shortly after its launch, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News Friday.

    The missile, fired from an area known as Pukchang in central North Korea, traveled 21 miles before breaking up in mid-air, the official said. Early indications are this was a single-stage liquid-fueled mobile-launched missile the U.S. is calling the KN-17, the official said.

    The KN-17 missile is a new type of missile that has been test-fired twice before. On April 15, one exploded shortly after launch from Sinpo, North Korea. The other missile fired on April 4 flew about 34 miles before spinning out of control into the Sea of Japan.

    Cmdr. David Benham, a spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, said in a statement that the missile "did not leave North Korean territory" and that the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) had determined the missile "did not pose a threat to North America."

    "U.S. Pacific Command stands behind our steadfast commitment to the security of our allies in the Republic of Korea and Japan," the statement continued.

    President Donald Trump criticized the rogue Asian nation on Twitter shortly afterward, while also invoking Chinese President Xi Jinping, with whom he discussed the North Korean threat during a summit earlier in the month.

    "North Korea disrespected the wishes of China & its highly respected President when it launched, though unsuccessfully, a missile today. Bad!" wrote Trump.

     

     

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • President Trump 'proud' to be 1st president to address the NRA in 34 years


    ABC News(ATLANTA) -- President Trump said he is "proud" to follow in the footsteps of "our wonderful Ronald Reagan" by speaking at a National Rifle Association event in Atlanta on Friday.

    "In the history of the organization and today I am also proud to be the first sitting president to address the NRA leadership forum since our wonderful Ronald Reagan in 1983," Trump said.

    Friday's meeting at the NRA's Leadership Forum isn't Trump's first speech to the gun rights group. He was endorsed by the NRA in May and spoke at their convention at the time.

    "Only one candidate in the general election came to speak to you and that candidate is now the president of the United States standing before you again," Trump said of himself during his speech.

    "The eight year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end. You have a true friend and champion in the White House," Trump said.

    His appearance Friday marks the first time that a sitting president has addressed the group since former President Reagan did so in 1983.

    The NRA is known for their sizable lobbying operation and by raising money for -- and against -- candidates. The group made over $52 million in donations to candidates during the 2016 election, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. They spent $30.3 million in support of Trump, the CRP reported.

    Trump campaigned on the pledge to support and protect the Second Amendment, which he said during his May NRA appearance, was "under a threat like never before." He pointed to his then-rival Hillary Clinton as the basis for that threat.

    "Hillary Clinton wants to abolish the Second Amendment, not change it; she wants to abolish it," Trump said at the time, although Clinton had never made such claims.

    "The Second Amendment is on the ballot in November. The only way to save our Second Amendment is to vote for a person you know: Donald Trump," he said.

    Trump has noted that his two eldest sons, Donald Jr. and Eric, have been longtime members of the NRA.

    At Friday's speech, Trump stressed their love of shooting.

    "I can tell you, both sons, they love the outdoors. Frankly, I think they love the outdoors more than they love by a long shot Fifth Avenue, but that's OK," Trump joked.

    After starting the speech by reviewing the state-by-state wins on election night, Trump talked about the work that he has done on behalf of gun owners. He talked about various appointments he has made, including the nomination and eventual addition of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, as well as Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly.

    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that hundreds of protesters and gun control advocates gathered near the convention site this morning. Part of the protest featured a "die-in," where 93 people will lie down in a local park to represent the number of people who die from gun violence every day, the paper reports.

    There will be another protest on Saturday, and Rep. John Lewis of Georgia is scheduled to attend. Lewis and Trump have a turbulent history. Lewis did not attend the inauguration and said he did not see Trump as a "legitimate president." Trump returned the favor by criticizing the civil rights leader, saying that he was "all talk, talk, talk -- no action or results."


    ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • How the founder of Hint Water says she proved naysayers wrong


    Taylor Dunn(NEW YORK) -- Growing up in Arizona, Kara Goldin had no idea she would one day be working to revolutionize the American beverage industry.

    “I’ve always had this mindset that you just have to keep learning along the way and trying to figure it out. I also have a lot of trust of what happens day after day without thinking through exactly what’s going to happen next week,” Goldin told ABC News' Rebecca Jarvis on an episode of ABC Radio’s “No Limits With Rebecca Jarvis."

    Goldin had an early introduction to the world of healthy ingredients from her father, who worked in the Healthy Choice division of Conagra. When Goldin was born and her mom went back to work, her father was determined to make healthier, easier meals for Goldin and her four older siblings, she said.

    “My dad decided that he didn’t like TV dinners that were the typical, mystery meat TV dinners that were available in the frozen food section so he decided, 'What if I develop a better-tasting ... TV dinner, which was Healthy Choice.”

    Goldin later went on to study communications in college and minored in finance at Arizona State. She originally set out to become a journalist, but instead found herself in the tech world, working her way up the ladder at AOL, where she became VP of shopping and e-commerce partnerships and grew AOL’s shopping startup to over $1 billion in under seven years.

    Goldin’s shift from Silicon Valley executive to beverage CEO came gradually. After her third child was born, Goldin “really started to look at everything not only that I was doing from an exercise perspective, but also from an eating perspective and drinking perspective.”

    Her final challenge: giving up Diet Coke, of which she says she consumed 12 cans of every day!

    “I had a love affair with my Diet Coke,” Goldin said. She quit cold turkey.

    Her replacement? “I was never a water drinker. And so I started slicing up fruit and throwing it in water to get myself to drink more water.”

    When she looked for a similar product in the grocery store, she couldn’t find it. So she set to work in her own kitchen, brewing up water with no sweeteners and a hint of natural fruit flavoring.

    The same day Goldin gave birth to her fourth child, Hint Water made its debut at Whole Foods. As Hint Water began growing, Golden says she reached out to an executive at a large beverage company for advice. What he told her changed everything. He said: “This company will never work because Americans love sweets.”

    That's when she says she realized, “We could actually change health in America by helping people really eliminate their need for sweet.”

    Now Hint is sold in stores like Whole Foods, Target and Wal-Mart, and is the main brand of water at tech companies including Google and Facebook. Goldin attributes Hint’s success to her tech background, but also to the healthy choices her father made.

    “I never really realized the impact that had on me. I didn’t go into food right away,” she said.

    “I think just being able to look at something and say, 'I can do better than this.' I mean, that’s what great entrepreneurs do right,” she added.

    To hear more of Kara Goldin’s story and how she created Hint Water, listen to “No Limits with Rebecca Jarvis."

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • Cincinnati Bengals select embattled running back Joe Mixon with the 48th overall pick in the NFL Draft


    iStock/Thinkstock(CINCINNATI) -- The Cincinnati Bengals selected Oklahoma Sooners running back Joe Mixon in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft with the 48th overall pick amid major character concerns.

    Mixon was suspended for the entire 2014 college season when surveillance video showed him punching a woman at a deli, breaking four bones in her face. The video was released in December, more than two years after the incident occurred.

    Mixon recently reached a civil settlement with the victim.

    The Bengals met with Mixon at the NFL Combine in February and then hosted him in Cincinnati for an individual visit. Head coach Marvin Lewis says the team did "such a lot of work regarding Joe Mixon,” speaking to his former coaches and hearing Mixon’s own explanation of the incident.

    While Lewis says he accepted what Mixon said, but added that he is "disgusted" by his actions.

    Where or if Mixon would be selected was entirely unpredictable entering the draft. He was considered a first-round prospect before the video surfaced, excelling as a runner, pass-catcher, and pass protector during his time at Oklahoma.

    However, teams shied away from the talented prospect following the release of the video. Speaking to the New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft told the Boston Herald:

    "While I believe in second chances and giving players an opportunity for redemption, I also believe that playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. For me, personally, I believe that privilege is lost for men who have a history of abusing women."


    Other teams did not express reservations regarding Mixon as publicly as Kraft, but reports indicated teams were hesitant to pick him.

    Following his selection, Mixon told reporters, "You know, I am still sitting here crying. I can't believe it. I can't believe it... I am thankful and very honored to be a part of -- to be a Cincinnati Bengal."

    He also discussed how the incident altered his perspective:

    "It changed me a lot as a person, the way you think, the way you carry yourself, go about things. I'm going to continue to keep doing the right thing around the community, on and off the field. And I'm going to prove to them why they kept me. Leaving from Oklahoma, I still have their name, at the end of the day. I'm going to do whatever I can to make them proud and make them happy. I'm looking forward to doing that with the Cincinnati Bengals as well."

    Kim Gandy, the president and CEO of the National Network to End Domestic Violence, expressed to ESPN her concern that Mixon could have another outburst. She says while "it's not so surprising that a team picks a violent person," it is "disappointing."

    The Bengals have a history of adding talented players with checkered pasts to their roster. Cornerback Adam Jones, linebacker Vontaze Burfict, and former NFL player Odell Thurman are a few examples.

    Mixon could slide into a starting role as Cincinnati continues to build its offense through early draft picks. The team selected wide receiver John Ross with the ninth pick in the draft.

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • Tune in to HBO on Saturday to watch 2017 Rock Hall induction ceremony with Journey, Yes, ELO, Pearl Jam and more


    Kevin Kane; Kevin Mazur; Kevin Mazur/Courtesy of HBOThe 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony took place earlier this month in Brooklyn, New York, and now you can watch an HBO special featuring highlights from the extravaganza that premieres Saturday, April 29, at 8 p.m. ET. This year's honorees included Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Pearl Jam.

    Here is a rundown of some of the ceremony's key moments:

    --Ex-Journey singer Steve Perry joined his former band mates to accept his induction, although he didn't perform with them. With current frontman Arnel Pineda, Journey then performed "Separate Ways," "Lights" and "Don't Stop Believin'."

    --Yes was inducted by Rush's Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. Following speeches that included some off-color jokes by former Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman, most of the band's classic lineup reunited during the performance segment, which saw Lee filling in for late bassist Chris Squire.

    --Electric Light Orchestra opened the ceremony with a cover of the late Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven." The late George Harrison's son, Dhani, inducted ELO. After speeches from frontman Jeff Lynne and founding singer/multi-instrumentalist Roy Wood, the band performed "Evil Woman" and "Mr. Blue Sky."

    --Huge Pearl Jam fan David Letterman inducted the grunge greats, filling in for an ailing Neil Young. The band's performance featured "Alive" -- with ex-member Dave Krusen manning the drums for the first time in 25 years -- as well as "Given to Fly" and "Better Man."

    --This year's other honorees were folk singer Joan Baez, late rapper Tupac Shakur and Chic's Nile Rodgers who was inducted in conjunction with receiving the Rock Hall's Award for Musical Excellence.

    --The show also included a Prince tribute by Lenny Kravitz, and a finale featuring all the inductees jamming on a rendition of Young's "Rockin' in the Free World."

    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pvRaaCnO8Y&w=640&h=360]

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

  • Former President George HW Bush released from hospital after treatment for pneumonia


    Twitter/@GeorgeHWBush(HOUSTON) -- Former President George H.W. Bush has been released from a Texas hospital after receiving treatment for pneumonia.

    Bush was admitted to Houston Methodist Hospital earlier this month after a persistent cough led to a pneumonia diagnosis, according to his staff.

    This is his third hospitalization just this year. In January, the former president was hospitalized for 12 days after contracting pneumonia. He recovered enough to toss the coin at the Super Bowl in Houston, Texas, on Feb. 5. However, Bush was again hospitalized after the event for reasons that were not disclosed at the time.

    This week, Bush's physician, Dr. Clint Doerr, a pulmonologist at Houston Methodist Hospital, said the former president was still in the hospital due to "chronic bronchitis."

    “While President Bush has recovered from pneumonia, he continues to deal with the effects of chronic bronchitis, which is a condition more prevalent with age. This means his airway has a constant, low-level of inflammation that can aggravate the symptoms of pneumonia," Doerr said in a statement.

    Doerr said Bush is expected to continue "aggressive respiratory treatments" to help treat the effects of chronic bronchitis after being discharged.

    Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Area Weather

KOKOMO
Kokomo Weather
LAFAYETTE
Lafayette Weather
FRANKFORT
Frankfort Weather
LOGANSPORT
Logansport Weather

Now On the Air

On the air now.
pump-patrol
lewis01

friday-frenzy-header

Watch here for more Friday Frenzy Deals!

MORE GREAT BARGAINS

LISTEN LIVE
farmers-bank
PET-OF-THE-DAY